Tuesday, October 29, 2013

IELTS Speaking Part 1

EXAM OVERVIEW Part 1











IELTS Speaking Part 1 This first section of the IELTS Speaking exam lasts about 4-5 minutes and gives the examiner the chance to find out a little about you through some simple ‘getting-to-know-you’ questions. These will be questions that you’ll have something to talk about such as your family, where you come from and what your interests are. This is also YOUR chance to get off to a good start!


Example Questions:
Q: Tell me a little about where you come from?
Q: Do you enjoy studying English?
Q: Why are you taking the IELTS exam?
Q: Have you got any interests or hobbies?

Part 1: Top Tips! 

Impress the examiner with your ability to give full answers to his or her questions.
a) Avoid short, ‘yes’, ‘no’ answers.
Q: Tell me a little about where you come from?
A: I’m from Coimbra. It’s a city in the central part of Portugal. It’s a very historical city and we have one of the oldest universities in Europe.

Use examples to back up statements.
Q: Do you enjoy studying English?
A: Oh yes! I went to England last year and loved being able to communicate with local people. And knowing a second language means you have access to a whole new culture … new authors, English films.
b) Give the examiner a picture of you.
Q: Why are you taking the IELTS exam?
A: I’m taking an IELTS course in India in order to go to university in the UK. I’ve been accepted on a Business course in London but need to get the right IELTS score so I’ve been doing lots of IELTS Speaking practice.
Q: Have you got any interests or hobbies?A: Not really. I like watching football and read books quite often, but I don’t have any hobbies really. Hopefully one day I’ll discover a hidden interest!

No comments: